Each game paddle consists of a 1 Megohm potentiometer that, when varied, causes different values to be seen and acted upon by the TIA. Also contained in the paddle is a simple spring loaded push-to-make pushbutton switch. There are two game paddles connected to each I/O plug. Figure 3 illustrates the paddle controller assembly and Figure 4 the paddle controller schematic.
FIGURE 3. PADDLE CONTROLLER ASSEMBLY (EXPANDED VIEW)
FIGURE 4. PADDLE CONTROLLER SCHEMATIC / PINOUTS WIRING DIAGRAM
PADDLE CONTROLLER CHECK
Known good VCS unit
- Check for cosmetic damage.
- Plug in cartridge and plug control1ers to be tested into the left player port.
- Press game reset.
- Press the button on one of the controllers. A pair of numbers should appear.
- When you turn the knob, one set of numbers should go between 20 and 2O0 by steps of 20. The numbers should not advance greater than a step of 20.
- Repeat steps 3, 4,x 5 for the other controller.