Today I wanted to post about winding a new ribbon onto your typewriter's old ribbon spools.
Usually you can use new universal fabric ribbons on your old vintage typewriter but they don't fit all models.
If you have a universal ribbon and it won't work with your machine then you can spool the new fabric ribbon onto your old ribbon spools.
1. Wind all your old ribbon onto one of the ribbon spools. When you get to the end of the ribbon, pull firmly until the ribbon tears from the spool. You should just have an empty ribbon spool now.
2. Over a garbage can spin the ribbon off the other spool and when you get to the end pull hard and snap the ribbon off the spool. You should now have two empty spools.
3. Get your new ribbon and on the spool that's at the end of the ribbon, pull hard to tear it from the spool. You should now have an empty spool.
4. Attach the new ribbon to one of the old spools, there will be some kind of hook on the old spool to attach the new ribbon.
5. Put the old spool you attached the new ribbon to back into the typewriter and the new spool with all the new ribbon into the other spot. Now wind the new ribbon onto the old spool.
6. When you get to the end, remove the new spool and pull hard to tear the new ribbon from it so you can attach the new ribbon. After you've attached the new ribbon, wind some of the new ribbon onto the old spool to get it started and you should be ready to go.
Hope this helps and have a great day,
Rob from Hercules Workshop